Friday, January 1, 2010

Hip Hop Happy


It’s college bowl season, and as I’m sure you are all aware, the University of Oregon football team just lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. I know you are asking yourself what the hell this has to do with the ukulele….the answer? Well, nothing…but hear me out. It seems that whenever a team makes it to the big game, whether it’s the Superbowl, the World Series, the NBA Championship game etc, some wanna-be-snoop-dog has to record a lame-ass rap song about how great the team is. It all started in 1985 when the Chicago Bears recorded one of the worst rap tunes in history called the SuperBowl Shuffle. The Oregon Ducks have an equally annoying rap tune on youtube, by a suburban white-bread dufuss named “C3” called Rose Up. Now here is my bitch. Why is it always a rap tune? Why not a country song? Or Speed Metal? Or a Sea Chantey for that matter? And why do rappers always have to have some gangsta nickname? You never hear of a rapper named Billy Parker, or Danny Noonan, or Joey Vinetti, or Ethan Goldberg.

Ok, I’m done. These are just some things I’ve been thinking about. K-Mac out.

2 comments:

Mugambismonkey said...

These kind of rap songs are lame indeed. Can't agree with you more, Kevin. Why is it always a rap song? I guess it's because they can't sing! And they probably believe that in a rap song you just have to "speak" - rap that is - and that's it.
I'd really like to see one of these football guys with an ukulele. A tiny uke, preferrably a sopranino. I guess that would really draw attention to the team whereas the others still stick to their lame rap songs... Happy New Year, btw! Hope you had some great celebrations. I did.

UKISOCIETY said...

They call me the Fridge - I'm the rookie.
I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie
I didn't come here lookin' for trouble...

Post a Comment