Tuesday, September 28, 2010

UU Show at DaSilva's and Other Myths

Our own Boozelele wrote a recent post about how exceptional it is to be able to travel and play music with folks we met online. He sums it quite well, so I won't waste space reiterating how amazing it is - suffice it to say that it's been the highlight of my grumpy ass little world of late, and I consider myself one of the luckiest SOBs alive to be able to do what we do.

This past weekend, I flew back down to San Francisco to hang out with Russ, Trina, and Corser. Aaron, Aldrine, and Ryan from UU came in from Hawaii for a show at Mike DaSilva's workshop in Berkley, and Russ was one of the opening acts - I could't miss that.


We kicked off the visit by a trip to BevMo - if you are not from California, picture a K-mart that only sells liquor. See the post below for details on that, but just recall the following advice from Trina: "Next time, leave the novelty liquor on the damn shelf..." Wise woman that Trina.

The rest of the weekend was a blur of astonishing food, killer music, hilarious "your mom" jokes, and damn fine friends. The stand out moment of course was the show itself. Like last year, Aldrine invited a big line up of opening acts. This time there was Trina B and Addison, RussBuss (with special grumpy guest), and Monique and her sisters. Everyone killed. It was an intense show - and Ryan and Aldrine really outdid themselves as the main event. Not only did they mange to make two grown men cry (not kidding) but managed to charm the fire department into not shutting the place down from the crowd by just being that awesome. It was a damn fine night. Russ' brother showed up and we all went out and gorged ourselves on pizza until they threw us out of the joint.


A Saturday trip to a great breakfast joint (where Grumpy learns to order properly) followed by the obligatory tour of the Haight and it was time to pack it in and head home.

We spent a lot of time missing our UCB siblings, but managed to hold our own on liquor and insults in your honor. Honestly, I spent most of the time just astonished that I got to participate at all. It's a good life.

Special thanks to the UU heroes for letting me on stage, to Russ for drinking corn whiskey with me and inviting me to play, to Corser for allowing me to sleep on his bed again, and of course to Trina - for tolerance beyond explanation and general awesomeness (next time I get the hashbrowns).


More great pictures here...

11 comments:

RussBuss said...

great recap Grumpy. you know what they need to open on haight street? a smoke shop.

dktoller said...

Can't help but notice... You are clearly the token white guy, Grumpy.

Baron said...

It seems my standard comment lately - on all vids and blogs - has been something like: "Man, I so wanted to be there with you all! Why do I have to live in fucking Sweden!?".

Well, that comment goes here too...

TrinaD said...

@dktoller We went to a Korean/American diner for Saturday breakfast. Everyone ordered some bibimbop or Korean dish, even Grumps. Upon seeing he didn't finish his food (more like "couldn't" finish, due to lasting gurgling effects of that damn Georgia Moon), the sassy Korean woman who runs the place shakes her finger at him, says "Next time, order American. Don't follow THEM." (she points to the UU guys).
Token indeed.

dktoller said...

@TrinaD +1 to Grumpy for trying. I ordered Korean once, some big bowl of mostly pickled things, and all I could eat was the rice.

Little 6ster said...

ha ha, more bibimbop please

HaileISela said...

I know what you mean Robin, and I can feel with Grump eating that Korean food, I tried once but failed...

Adelle the Great said...

Fantastic review, Grumpy- and much love to Trina for recording the events! Doesn't surprise me that Aldrine had to bring chaperones with him after the last visit- but I'm glad to see it didn't change a thing.

DeG said...

I think we should all move to Sweden, and form a uke commune. Heck, Robin has already taught us some useful phrases... Lol

Boozelele said...

Yeah, I was extremely jealous that Grumpy could go back to Motel Buss so soon. I was lucky enough to go to the show last year and know how awesome it is. There is one good thing that came out it for me though...I didnt have to drink any of that shitty Georgia moon. I drank some of that in like 1981 or something, and I swear to God I can still taste it.

Adelle the Great said...

::giggling at Booze cause that's the year I was born.:: Yr all old n stuff.

Post a Comment